Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Obama, Race and Courage

When the primary campaign started, my standard answer when asked who I was supporting was "I like them all, and will work for whichever Democrat wins the nomination."

I wish I still felt that way, but I don't.

The problem is that I am so sick of politics as usual - of spin and cynicism and pandering and obfuscation and manipulation and lies and deceit. The political process has become so debased that I'm ready to say the hell with it and find something new to care about.

It makes me angry that Americans are so willing to put up with this shit - but if that's what they want, maybe it's what they deserve. I may be as cynical as the day is long, but I just can't take it any more.

Yesterday Barack Obama gave a speech about race that was really unprecedented. In the words of Glen Greenwald:
"I found the speech riveting, provocative, insightful, thoughtful and courageous -- courageous because it eschewed almost completely all cliches, pandering and condescension, the first time I can recall a political figure of any significance doing so when addressing a controversial matter."
Obama had the courage to address a complex issue like an intelligent grown-up. He didn't pander, he didn't lie and he didn't throw his friend of 30 years under the bus. Since this is what politicians are expected to do, the GOP announced that:
"Obama handed them a “major weapon” by refusing to disown Wright"
I want a candidate who is no longer willing to play the game as it has been laid out by the political establishment. The only one with the courage to do that is Barack Obama.

No comments: